Friday, November 26, 2010

Long Fight, Fresh Start (List Poem)

Cannabis
Pipe; it’s a habit
Lucky rabbits foot; well not for the rabbit
Poncho; to keep the rain out
Flask; half full; to dull the pain out
Copy of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road; a guide
Passport
Ticket stub; I had a ticket to ride
Durable hiking boots; for the rough road ahead
Picture of a girl I once knew, we are strangers now; too much has been said
Sweater; to keep the cold out
Journal; to pour the soul out
Wallet; half empty; not much to my name
A memory,  A Zippo, with barely a flame.


2 comments:

  1. This is beyond amazing and profound. Of everything I've read of yours, this is by and far my favorite. I could go on here, but then you'd think I was a crazy lunatic/stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular fluidity in this piece, Chadd. Your writing uptakes the reader and carries them not only with the tempo and stream of syllables, but also along the lonely lope of the speaker. That I happen to right now be reading 'On The Road' makes it additionally excellent. Much praise, pedagogue.

    ReplyDelete