Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fighting the Good Fight!

Alright Folks
Enough cutesy blogs for a moment, and the tweet one was for Kenton since he requested so nicely, but time for a little substance.

Let's start off on a personal note:

-CreComm 3 Vs The Streeter:
Round 1:

CreComm3 prevailed and all did better than expected was the census, I have to give a shout out to my new good friend and the the top of our class, the journalist Ali of the week, Mr. Ryan McBride; Congrats Ryan!
The whole class can sleep easier now, at least til friday.

-Finkleman Vs Public Speaking

Ken Finkleman author of Noah's Turn graced us with his presence to end the school day. He began quiet scoping out his opponent, us the audience, started with a little dancing in the ring he said he hadn't spoken in public for a while but than came out swinging.
After a bit you would have never known it.
I learnt more about how the system is crumbling and how Jon Stewart and Colbert is selling out than I did about where the passion from his book stemed from, but was fully entertained.
He was a colorful character to say the least, in fact he was Noah or vice versa.

I was up close and personal, I felt spit and laughed as his dark humor made light of the event.
 Plus I got him to sign my book, which was kinda cool.

- The Main Event of the Evening

For 6:00 I ventured down the street to 300 Princess, Siloam Mission, where I gave 3 hours of my time.

Chadd Vs Spuds
I peeled a couple pails of potatoes, hadn't done that since I worked at a Jamaican restaurant when I was 15.
Where my boss at the time said:
"What ya doin man, ya gotta be gettin all de skin off de potata na"
My skills have improved since than.
The food was prepped, the metal window opened and I stood on the front line, where I served the homeless.
Across from me bolted to the wall was a flat screen tv, which I thought was nice, it gave more of an at home feel, but what was on the tv channel; I thought was interesting, perhaps some poetic justice in a way.

It was Mike Tyson, a man who has fought a good fight both in and outside the ring, he is a man no stranger to struggle, not unlike any of the good people in line for a warm meal.

John Lennon once said: Life is what happens while your making other plans, and I am sure not one of the people I served had ever planned to be where they are.

They are the beautiful broken but not unfixable, I saw a couple of guys I knew from one situation or another.

I didn't get a chance to talk to many for as long as I would have liked.  But just having the chance to help out and serve them a warm meal, and to know that the roast beef and potatoes and veggies, plus dessert, was what made their day, felt good.

Back to Finkleman for a moment in his novel the character Noah recalls his prof saying:
 "Everyone has their own battle"

That really jumped out at me tonight as I was in the corner of the day to day fighter, it humbled me and made me thankful and realize one should keep fighting, no matter what punches life throws your way.

3 comments:

  1. I want Facebook to fight Twitter. And Bruce Willis to fight the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ability to consistently weave everything that happens into this fight metaphor is really something else.

    ReplyDelete