Thursday, September 9, 2010

Good Ad vs Bad Ad as we all fought for or against "The Mad Man"

It was Good Ad vs Bad Ad this morning and for a lot of us the real opponent was our nervousness. I know it was for me. I was up before the sun and was full of nervous energy. Floating around like a butterfly second guessing myself and my choice, and hoping I could sting like a bee and speak like a champ when my name was called.
All the contenders before and after me were fierce. hitting their points; (good or bad) home with gusto, with much respect to all I give a huge Kudos. To highlight a few:
Adam fought against "The Mad Man" in an ad for fighting off armpit residue as did Jennifer as she winded out her opponent as she fought against a "cheese"y ad that referred to cutting it.
One of my favorites was watching Albertine draw blood as she decapitated royalty in her fight for "The Man"
I was thrown in to the ring, my name and specs was announced.
Ding Ding
First jab, second jab
My anxiety is no match for me
Uppercuts are taken well, the class is engaged.
Dancing around the ring punching out points as I fight for the man.
In this case the man was Trident White gum;
My fight went as follows:
Trident White gum; I came across this ad in an issue of Men's Health that was published in the month of September 2010. In my opinion this was a perfect space for it, because let's face it, Men's Health has become the man's Cosmo. "The Cosman" if you will. Men's health magazine is comprised of fashion, eating and exercise tips, as well as recipes, culture quips and insight into what the opposite sex really wants. I know as a man, that when one buys a copy of Men's Health it is for one of two reasons; to look our best and to get the girl. The copy on this particular ad reads: 35% MORE OFFICECRUSHABLE. When about 35% of guys see this ad they are going to think to themselves; "Awesome, whiter teeth and a threesome!" Now for the other percent that tamer guys like myself fall into, the copy on this ad will probably register as; "Whiter teeth, now comes with beautiful free thinking women."  Either way it is a win-win. We live in a world of attraction, and  all want to be attractive to ourselves and to others. Men's Health and similar magazines know this; and get their readers in that mind set of improving the way they, and others perceive them. So having an ad like this in Men's Health is ideal. It will stick in the reader's mind the next time they are at the local Shopper's Drug Mart or where have you, to purchase their multivitamins, health prouducts and skin creams. After stocking up on the improvement suggestions that Men's Health had to offer, these shoppers will reach the register where the last minute purchases such as gum are so strategically placed. They will reach for Trident White, flavor optional, recalling the influential ad suggesting a higher percentage of attraction. Without thinking twice, they will toss it into their basket of improvement, and be on their way.
That is why I believe it's a good ad.

Ding.
Last Round/ Previous Fight went to the desk.
This Round/ New Fight goes to me.
The day is done.
All contenders fistacuffed beautifully against and for.

You are not your first week grades!

No comments:

Post a Comment